Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Living for Today

People often say, "Think before you speak." Most assume this prevents you from saying something you would later wish you hadn't said. But I believe that there is a greater application to the essence of this proverb. "Think before you Die." Do you want to be remembered as the person who OD-ed, was reckless, was a family person, achieved the impossible, etc.

So what is prompting this depressing topic. Well, yesterday Heath Ledger passed away. They say it was an accident. I can't help but think how sad it is that he died. He had so much to live for...after all, he was successful, had a daughter he adored, and for all intents and purposes was living a good life. But death doesn't discriminate.

Yesterday, I couldn't help but consider my own mortality. And I started to wonder about how I should live my life given I may 'accidentally' die one day too (car accident, plane crash, brain blood clot....). I came up with a list of activities, movies, food, people, etc. that I wanted to experience. I want my obituary to talk about how I lived my life, how I touched other peoples lives, and ultimately that my life was of value to others. I think everyone's life has value. I just want to ensure that what I consider value is reflected in my life actions. Make sense?

Let's say there is life after death. I don't want to think for eternity, "If only I had..." Instead, I'm going to "Think before I die." Sometimes I think I spend so much time planning the future, that I forget the present. Which leads to a new mantra for me...in the form of one of the oldest proverbs "Carpe Diem."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home